Jan 10, 2009

Taking the Plunge

My mom is going to jump for joy when she reads this and my friend Esther will be TRULY convinced that I am copying her every parenting move :) That's right people...WE'RE GOIN' CLOTH!

We tossed around the idea when I was pregnant and Jason was like, "Oh No. I'm not washing poop in our machines. It would NOT be more cost effective because I'd insist on buying a whole separate washer dryer set just for the diapers." But now that he's settling into daddyhood and becoming oh so comfortable with the poo, he's over his issues.

Then it was me that flip flopped and said I didn't want to do cloth because I hate laundry. And in the early weeks of mommyhood I thought I'd never have any energy again, let alone energy to do any extra laundry. But now that we're at week 4 and I'm feeling a little more normal...some days... I think I can swing it.

And I can't tell you how bad I feel every time I empty my diaper genie. Those things fill up stinkin' fast! And I just picture each little blue bundle of poo filled absorbant material making it's way to the local landfill and swelling up to 10 times it's original size and taking forever to biodegrade!

Sure it's an investment up front. But a few hundred dollars up front and a few extra loads of laundry each week is FAR cheaper than the few thousand we'd spend on disposable over the course of a few years. And I'm not gonna lie. Money is my biggest stress. I won't get into details but suffice it to say, we have FAR less money now than we ever did when we were missionaries! Go figure!

So we're buying ourselves 14 fuzzibuns and 9 liners for one heck of a deal! Wahoo!

2 comments:

Esther said...

Yay! Congrats Sarah. Now our little girls will be oh so cute in their cloth diapers! Woohoo... okay, Kirsten is hungry so gotta go.

Cheryl said...

No way! WAHOO, indeed! :-)