Jun 24, 2008

Over The Shoulder Baby Holder

First a shout out to my friends Peter and Shannon who had their baby girl Charlotte last night! Congratulations! Since she posted that she was going into be checked at 4pm and that she was "a little achy" but nothing major, and Peter posted that Charlotte was born at 8:36pm I'm imagining it was a fairly short and hopefully not too horrendous labor! Yay! Now I will spend LOTS of time around Shannon and believe that the same fate will rub off on me through osmosis! :)

So I have to admit that I am pretty darn proud of myself. Have you seen these baby slings? Some name brands are ring sling or maya sling and so on. They are a essentially a really hippy, yet oh so comfortable and practical way to carry your baby. The baby feels safe and enveloped and you can be hands free! They also work for children to toddler age because toddlers can sit in them on your hip or front or back and you can be hands free once again. And the extra fabric that hangs down can be used as a nursing cover while your child nurses in the the sling, hands free. Can you tell I like the hands free bit!? Well let me tell ya, these bad boys retail for anywhere from $40 to $90 (if you opt for the all natural, all organic hemp). Being the bargain lover that I am and also enjoyed a good craft here and there I decided I could make one MYSELF!

I found AMAZING fabric at Marden's that I cannot get over how much I love. (seriously if you see me in person you might have to ask me to stop talking about it) It's woven so it does not have a "no show" side. It's soft and comfy with just the right amount of give and it's striped so it's great for boy or girl and will coordinate with many outfits. Then I got two rings at Home Depot and don't worry people...they're rated to hold 200 pounds! But it's really the stitching job that's
key so lets hope mine holds!

And the grand total of how much I spent.....drum roll please.......$8.16!!!!! Anyhoo, here's the finished product. Make sure to scroll to the last ones to see my 14 pound, jet black baby model. He LOVED it!

4 comments:

Esther said...

You have oh-so-much more talent than I do! I am definitely planning to get myself one of these types of slings, and I don't want the kind you get at the store that only fit a certain way. Anyway, perhaps I'll have to hire you... ; ) It looks great! And, I am definitely hoping that we have as great labors as Shan... only pushed for 35 minutes!

Life With My Joys..... said...

Veeeeery nice! I have a lot of friends out here who absolutely LOOOOOVE the slings! How very domestic of you to make it yourself! You should add one of those little tags on it that says: "Handstitched by Sarah" so that EVERYONE will know you made it all by your lonesome! Super cool! I love your "practice child" as well! Ha!

Anonymous said...

I should make one of those for Tut! He might actually sit with me! He loves to snuggle into things :o) Nice work by the way! Love the fabric!

Cheryl said...

You forgot to mention the degree of perfection that you had to achieve! :-)

Seriously, you did a fabulous job. And I love seeing you model it with Quin!

Let's pick out a sewing machine and you could go into business.