Aug 1, 2010

Never Thought I'd See the Day....

I enjoy sports of all kinds. I've always been relatively athletic. And I'm ridiculously competative. But I HATE running. Always have. Sure, I'd run to train for all my sports...all the while wishing I could be gouging my eyes out with a hot poker instead...but I would NEVER run just for the sake of flipping running. Until now people....until now.

Running after a sweet little girl all day keeps my somewhat active but mostly just super busy and exhausted. Finances are tight (please refer back to the laser beam focus on becoming debt free post) and time is at a premium. So in an effort to stay fit, get some me time in, and not break the bank with a gym membership (or waste precious time driving to and from a gym)I, Sarah York, have officially taken up running (GASP)!!! I know. I really never thought I'd see the day.

This has been in the works for a LONG time. My friend Amy has been a constant inspiration with her mad running. And after watching my sister compete in her first triathlon last fall I thought, "Well crud! The least I could do is run a 5k."

Well it took me a LONG time of thinking about it... getting some shorts... thinking about it... getting some shoes... thinking about it some more... getting a watch...thinking about it... making some excuses... and finally getting my butt in gear!

And it took me even longer to write about it here, because I had to make sure I had enough running under my belt to be sure I'd actually keep up with it. So there it is. It's official. I've taken up running. And my first 5k is the Monster Mash Oct. 30th in North Berwick. It's my kind of race. It's 5 minutes away and it starts at 9am. :)

3 comments:

Angie Cousins said...

Nice!!!
I'm thinking I should have started with a 5K! Our 10K is in 3 weeks and although I've been training I'm still nowhere near being able to run that far. It is a great, easy workout except that it is KILLING my two already bad knees. I think that this will be my first and last straight running race (but hopefully there will be some spring triathalons in my future)! Gotta loose this baby weight somehow!!!

Krissy said...

I think that it is awesome Sarah. And you will KICK butt at the Monster Mash 5k!

Cheryl said...

Good for you! I didn't know there was any question about it. I have faith in you and your ability to get it done!
AND... I LOVE the bright new look of your blog! Very energizing. :-)