Feb 16, 2009

You're not the Only Tortilla in Town!

We have these friends, Peter and Shannon, who are BOTH really good cooks. I'm always asking for their recipes and ever since Peter made homemade tortillas on a camping trip, I've been in awe...especially of homemade tortillas. I was always convinced you could only get them out of a bag at the grocery store and the fact that he made them from scratch blew my mind!

So we've been eating this delicious Mexican recipe the last few nights but last night we found ourselves with lots of filling left and only one tortilla in sight. In frugal desperation (no...can't...spend...money on gas to drive to store AND buy package of tortillas) and armed with the knowledge that it was somehow humanly possible to make them on your own, because the talented Peter can do it, we googled a recipe.

Ummmm, NOT HARD AT ALL! Move over Peter, I'm on your tortilla makin' heels! (Aw crum, did I just throw down a cooking related challenge to Peter!? What was I thinking!? :) Here's the recipe we used. I'm sure Peter's is much more intricate and highly difficult to make! ;)

~3 cups flour
~1 tsp. salt
~1 cup water
~3 TBS oil

Mix until forms dough. Separate into 8 to 12 balls of dough depending on how big you want your tortillas. Roll out balls of dough. Spray pan and cook over medium heat (aprox 2 min. on each side).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's on now.

My tortilla recipe, handed down from generations of Mexican relatives:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 TBS. shortening
1/2 to 1 cup warm water.

Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening. Add water a little bit at a time until dough is slightly sticky. Roll out and cook on cast iron.

Sarah said...

oooooo, yours you have to cut in shortening. It's cool. I know how to do that. :)

Cheryl said...

Hooray! You did it! You guys are becoming so wonderfully frugal and resourceful! How did they taste? Hope they were good. Love Peter's comment. :-)