Aug 10, 2007

3 1/2 Hour Drive? Umm, Scratch That...



It was more like a 4 1/2 hour drive...and fifty miles of it was on dirt roads. THAT was a blazin' good time! You see, aparently mostly rich people use these camps and they charter float planes @ a cool $250/hour to land them right at the docks ...now I see why. The drive in wasn't bad at all actually. (I think the anticipation and excitement sufficiently numbed our brains and helped us to lose all sense of reasoning.) The ride back was something else though! Let's just say I went a little stir crazy and I'm lucky that Jason didn't drop me on the side of the road somewhere and make me walk home. "Praise the Lord!" We didn't get a single flat tire and we didn't get lost once! It was worth it and I'll count us as blessed for getting to have the experience...float plane or not! (Although I'm seriously considering trying to convince my mom to get her bush pilot's liscence back so she can drop us at our future getaways. Wouldya mom? Pretty please!)

The cabin was beautiful and the scenery was breathtaking! The first night we hiked into another little pond to look for moose. Paddling out, we breathed deep cleansing breaths, sat silently, took it all in and then remarked at how utterly peaceful and quiet it was. Apparently the wildlife thought it was peaceful and quiet too...until we got there. As soon as we launched our canoe a moose swam from the island to shore and hightailed his big bum into the woods. Almost immediately after that, a beaver that had been far away, popped up right next to us and shot us an evil glare and smacked it's tail loudly on the water to declare that this was HIS pond and we were disturbing the peace. Cute little bugger though. And lastly, one caa-razy daddy loon separated himself from his lovely wife and two babies to come up on the other side of our canoe and start making the loudest loon ruccus I've ever heard in my life! It was not that pretty loon call sound you hear on those nature CD's you buy to help you relax. There was nothing natural OR relaxing about the sounds coming out of that black and white winged thing. Gotta hand it to the brave little guy though for protecting the fam. It was quite the show.

It rained all day Wednesday but that was fine by us. It was cozy inside the cabin and we both finished an entire book, ate, played games and napped the day away. Thursday it was sunny and brisk and gorgeous. It was too windy to canoe out to where we wanted to fish so we just lazed around and cleaned up and headed out.
And may I just take this moment, to recognize my amazing husband? Of course I may! It's my blog! (Other men may want to grab a piece of paper and jot down some notes at this time.) Jason planned this WHOLE thing! He packed everything and told me the only thing I needed to pack was my own personal bag. He even went and grocery shopped and planned all the meals out for the time that we were there. Yup, Amazing. Thanks babe!

Now, if there's one thing you'll learn about me real quick, it's that I LOVE photos...so ready or not, here they come! (And if you're wondering where we stayed...check out their website here.)


The perfect porch

The cozy camp.





The rain and the reading.










The picturesque pond and my handsome hubby!

3 comments:

Amy said...

FINALLY!!! I can comment on your blog! Cool cabin! Looks like you guys had an awesome time :o)

Sarah said...

Yeah, I JUST figured out how to make it so that people can comment. I'm still figuring this whole thing out. Right now I'm trying to add a little counter thingy. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Looks like an absolutely beautiful place for a vacation! So glad you got to go on this trip before starting your new job. How 'bout if I just pay for the floatplane ride next year? You know what a big chicken I am these days. :)