May 23, 2010

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

I am BURSTING at the seams! I just HAVE to tell you this story...

First I'd like to admit that we both forgot to put gas in the car today and it's a miracle we made it home from church. Second I'd like to share that my butt normally goes nowhere except the couch or bed after 8pm on Sundays. And thirdly I'd like to confess that normally I'd not offer to fill up J's car in the evening so he wouldn't have to get up earlier in the morning to do it on his way to work. But tonight I felt a nudge from the Lord to be a little extra kind to my hubby and offered to do so. (I was half hoping he'd swoon at the shear fact that I offered, kiss me on the forehead and tell me not be ridiculous, to go relax.) But he accepted.

So there I was, headed toward the fillin' station just after 8pm this evening, not 500 feet down the road from my house when I caught a glimpse of that bright red beauty out of the corner of my left eye.

"Couldn't be," I thought so I slowed a bit and did a double take. Yup, it was.

Parked right in someone's front yard, next to a few ladders for sale sat the exact radio flyer pathfinder wagon I'd been tryin' to hunt down for over a month. Big wheels, sturdy, easy to manuver and converts to a double seater with cup holders. It looked brand new!!! Mmmm, Hmmm, it was the one alright.
Oh sure I'd found plenty before but they'd all been too far to drive to get or far too expensive. You see I only had $30 cash left to spend on outdoor toys for my little one. So I let it sit, itchin' in my pocket, praying for the patience to wait and for the right one to come along.

I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price clearly printed in bold permanant marker on the "for sale" sign slung over it's side. It read $25 !!!

I didn't have my cash on me, so I rang the doorbell praying they'd hold it on my word for the 5 minutes it would take me to run home and back. The sweetest old man you'd ever want to meet greeted me at the door with and ear to ear smile and spoke before I even had a chance to peep a word, "The wagon. You're here for the wagon aren't cha?"

I'm not sure how he knew, but I thought it was neat, affirmed that it was indeed what I was after, explained how I'd been hunting, how my daughter would adore it, how I couldn't believe the price and how my cash was just down the road.

"Put it in your car and bring me back the money when you get a chance," he said with a wave of his hand and not a hind of hesitation.

I was dumbfounded and speechless for a split second. I almost hesitated to comply, but did because I knew I'd be back...and I was. A twenty dollar bill, four ones and four quarters later he gave me that same genuine smile and sweetly bid me farewell with, "I'm just glad it made you so happy."

I'm not trying to sound conceited, but I firmly believe God orchestrated this whole evening for me. Why he chose to bless me this way I know not (but I don't think that fact that one of my love languages is gifts managed to miss His attention :) I'm certainly not deserving, but I am so very, very thankful. Not just for the bright red wagon that I can one day explain to Ella how God handpicked just for her. Not just for the fact that I'll get to experience such joy when her face lights up tomorrow morning but mostly for the opportunity to meet such a sweet soul, who extended such generosity and trust that is far too rare these days. It was a glimpse of how I wish we could all live together and the tiniest of tastes of how I know we will when we are in His presence one day. Thanks God. You're awesome. I love you too.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Wonderful! God is good!