Feb 4, 2008

Super (Duper Pooper) Bowl

That picture pretty much sums it up. You know the horrid outcome...but here's my story...and my prerogative. It's long but it's worth it I promise.

We got invited to four Superbowl parties (I feel very loved). Do you know how many we went to? None. Why? There are a few reasons. First, because I wanted to bury myself comfortably in the corner of my couch wearing my rattiest sweats and feel free to suddenly leap from my couch and yell as spasticly and loudly as I want at my TV without weird stares from people I don't know and without frightening small children. Secondly, Jason and I did not want to travel anywhere because we're lazy and we simply couldn't risk missing part of an all new House which aired right after the Bowl on FOX. I make no apology for any of that.

All that said, here's my rant about the poopy doo of a performance given last night by our beloved Patriots. My supervisor thinks the game was rigged and they were payed off to lose. This is a distinct possibility in my mind given that their performance last night was such a stark contrast in comparison to the level of play during the entire rest of their season. However, I think the loss can be summed up into three key points.


#1) The horrendous job by our offensive line. (I mean seriously, what the crap were they doing!? I watched one guy try to block and he literally looked like he was in a girly fight! Just sticking his arms out and aimlessly pansy slapping, with his eyes closed, at the lineman who was truckin' for Brady. Brady was like one of those plastic toy punching bags that kept getting flattened but would bounce right back up again. Newsflash O-line: You can't get any touchdowns if Brady can't throw the ball because he's trapped under 1,000 pounds of NY Giant muscle! C'mon! You guys are paid millions of dollars to keep those defensive linemen from getting to Brady! Do your stinkin' job! That's like me not doing a progress note or not taking a client to an appointment. NOT an option... if I want to stay employed. Meanwhile, Manning had all day long in the pocket! His blockers did such a good job that I swear he did a little jig and waved to his mamma each time before he threw.) Here are numerous photos of Brady being sacked. Do you see any Blockers? Um no. I think I'd drop to the ground, curl up in the fetal position, start crying ma-ma and pee in my pants if these guys were flying at me left and right.




































#2) Belichick's controversial call to go for it on 4th down instead of trying for the 49 yard field goal. (Sure it's a long one...BUT our kicker's made a 52 yarder, you gotta have faith in your kicker, the team was already clearly sucking at that juncture in the game and they should've taken whatever points they could get. I know he might not have made it! But if he had, the game would've been tied when that ticker ran out and now we'll never know will we!?)


#3) The miraculous 3rd down, 32 yard conversion at the end of the 4th quarter where Manning evaded the sack and Tyree caught the ball under intense pressure hanging onto it between one hand and his helmet while being tackled, bent backwards over a patriot defender. (I'm sorry people, but I have to eat humble pie and hand it to them...that was miraculous! I mean, Un-be-freekin'-lievable! That won the game. Without that play they would have lost. They would have either gone for it on the 4th down or punted it away. Gotta give credit where credit is due...but that's not to say that the Pat's couldn't have racked up enough TD's to seal the deal far before that clutch play had they played like they did the previous 18 games!!!)


I have to admit, the social worker in me is pleased that both Mannings now have a Superbowl win so that Eli does not have to live in the shadow of his big brother and suffer with inner turmoil, creating sibling rivalry and tension within the family.

And on a final, more serious note, I LOVED that NY #17 (who caught the winning touchdown) humbly knelt for his TD celebration and then when interviewed, gave credit to God on National TV and then teared up. (Perhaps the Pats didn't throw the game after all :)


6 comments:

Esther Littlefield said...

Sarah,
I completely agree! That game was incredibly frustrating to watch, and the outcome was sucky to say the least, but the Giants played a better game last night. I felt so bad for Brady when he get getting sacked. Ridiculous.

Anyway, you could've curled up in your ickiest sweats and yelled at the tv all you wanted at the party at the B's. We all did that!

Cheryl said...

Awesome game report, Sarah! I loved this post, especially the title! Do you really know that much about football, or did Jason contribute to this post? :-)

I agree with you about the Giants' #17. Way to give all the glory to God!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you liked and knew so much about football. Thanks to you I feel like I actually watched the game (in reality I napped 'til about 7:30 then flipped channels for a while watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition and whatever else was on, only flipping to Fox to see if there were any funny commercials on! Rich was jumping up and down in the other room though (must have been that miracle catch) since he was rooting for the Giants, but don't hold it against him :-)

Sarah said...

Yes. I am that into football and I do know that much about it. Jason likes it just as much but true to his monotone voice and even keel he does not get anywhere near as worked up about it as I do!

And...I gasped when I heard that Rich roots for the Giants! What ties does he have to NY? His most beloved niece by marriage lives in NE...how dare he!? :)

Sarah said...

Yes. I am that into football and I do know that much about it. Jason likes it just as much but true to his monotone voice and even keel he does not get anywhere near as worked up about it as I do!

Pat said...

Nice post. very insightful. I doubt that the fix was in, the Pats don't need another scandal to deal with. 18-1 is very impressive and I think Pats fans will grow to know that as the years ease the pain of losing the last one.

The job of an offensive linemen is tough. They toil away in obsecurity all season. Then the Super Bowl comes around and someone finally pays attention to them. They can easily get lost in the hype. Then they have to earn there keep against guys trying to prevent them from succeeding. When you do well, no one notices. When you fail, all the world is watching.

18-1 is something to be proud about.

p.s. if you don't like my commentary, you can blane Cheryl. She sent me this way. :)