Feb 18, 2008

ROAD TRIP!

I randomly got an unexpected three day weekend at work. So what did I decide to do? I decided to take a road trip...to Vermont...to visit my good friend Steph who happens to now live with another friend of mine, Jenn. So I left on Saturday right? Ummm no. I worked a 3pm-11pm shift on Friday and then left and drove straight through the night for 6 hours! Madness, but fun! (I'm sure my mom will have a mild heart attack when she reads that! But that's why I tell her these things AFTER I'm back and safe :)

Here are the highlights of my midnight drive to Vermont. About 2 hours in to the journey I realized that I had not taken into account if there would be any gas stations open on Route 2 in when I planned the timing of my drive. Then I got to thinking that if there are no places open for gas, there will surely be no places open for me to go to the bathroom and the way I'm sucking down coffee and Mt. Dew, there's no way I can hold it for 6 hours. I had a mild anxiety attack thinking of either puttering out of gas and being stranded in the middle of nowhere or.... peeing in my pants because I'd be too afraid to pull over in the pitch black in the middle of no where and relieve my bursting bladder.

I practiced my coping skills by taking deep cleansing breaths and then just in the nick of time I spotted a glorious orange and white shining beacon in the night. Ah yes, it was a Cumberland Farms! Those babies are the only thing open 24 hours on Route 2... And the people who work there were super friendly AND the bathrooms were nice and clean. Oh, Praise the Lord for Cumberland Farms!

About two thirds into the trek I got stuck behind a tow truck. Word of advice...NOT a good idea to drive behind one of those bad boys at like 2 in the morning when your eyelids are already heavy. Those rotating yellow lights are mesmerizing! It's SO hard to peel your eyes away from them as they lul you to sleep. When I determined that there was no way to pass him, I increased my following distance considerably and then got by him when there was finally a blasted passing lane on our quick jaunt on I-93.

I arrived safe and sound. Not a wrong turn anywhere. It was super early in the morning and I was wired for about a half and hour but then I crashed! More posts to come detailing my Vermont fun!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Uh, yeah, you're right. But unfortunately, I survived the heart attack. So can I come over and scream at you now about the dangers of traveling alone, at night, in the middle of winter, while sleepy?!?!