Nov 12, 2007

He Makes a Great Cowgirl!

Oh my! I still chuckle out loud as I remember last night....It all started so innocently. I went shopping with my mother-in-law Diane, my sister-in-law Erin and Erin's roommate. Actually...I didn't shop. Diane shopped, for Erin and I for my birthday and Christmas. (It's usually the same scenario. She really enjoys buying gifts for others so she keeps telling you to find something else you like, and you keep telling her you don't need anything because she's already spent way too much on you and she doesn't take no for an answer.) She's quite generous that way! Anyhoo, the day of shopping was tiring but fun and we all had a good time together. The men folk stayed home and watched manly football. But they joined us that night for Dinner at the Texas Roadhouse, (again a treat from J's mom and dad.)
This is where the real fun began. At the end of dinner the waitress comes over (I think she's coming to give the check.) and I hear her say, "I hear it's your birthday." Now...I was literally thinking she was talking to Diane at first because Diane's birthday is shortly after mine...it took a minute to register...she was talking to me. When I realized that, I immediately began trying to disapear into the corner of the booth, my face turned 10 shades of red and I practically yelled, "NO!" as I strongly and viamently denied that it was my birthday because #1) It was NOT my birthday and #2) I know what they do to birthday boys and girls at Texas Roadhouse. "No really," I pleaded with the waitress, "it's not my birtday! My birthday is next Saturday, I'll show you my liscence. I swear!" And she was like, "Oh, but you're celebrating this weekend." as the whole table urged me to get up onto the western saddle in front of the whole restaurant.

Now... I have never, ever been the "like to be the center of attention" kind of girl (unless it was for doing extremely well in school or on a soccer field or in a ski race) There was no way I was getting on that saddle. Seriously...no chace in you know what! In fact, I said, "No. I'm NOT getting on it." To which the waitress replied, "Is there anyone who wants to ride in her place?" And that I was all for. I looked to the person nearest to me on the left (which was Jason) pointed to him and quickly said, "Yeah, YOU do it." It took a little coaxing from me and his family, but he did it. He got up there... on that saddle... for me! (Oh, I love this man!)

And then it happened. The waitress turned the lights on him, and began announcing to the whole restaurant, "WE HAVE A VERY SPECIAL COWGIRL HERE TONIGHT, with someone riding in her place." Our entire table erupted in laughter and I turned 10 more shades of red and tried to squeeze further in to the corner of the booth. "HER NAME IS SARAH AND SHE'S TURNING 26 YEARS OLD," the waitress continued, "EVERYONE SAY 'HI SARAH!'" The whole restaurant yells, "Hi Sarah!" to my husband...sitting on a western saddle...at the head of our table. "ON THE COUNT OF THREE, EVERYONE GIVE HER YOUR BEST 'YEE HAAW'" The entire restaurant yells, "Yee Haaw" and I am completely mortified for my husband, yet crying in laughter at the same time. And that my friends is how amazing Jason is. WOW! Do I owe him....for like the rest of our life!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh...that's the best story ever!!!!!

On an unrelated note...I need your email address and can't seem to find it. Actually, scratch that...I'll send you a facebook message.

Cheryl said...

Oh,kiddo, do you EVER owe him big time! I'm putting that place on my list of never-gonna-go-there embarrassing places to avoid!

Esther said...

I love the roadhouse!!! But I can tell you, there's a very good reason I avoid it around my birthday!!! I am a little surprised, though, because between the two of you, I always had you pegged as the extrovert and Jason as the introvert... hmm I guess I need to work on my skills. Although I did win the Imagine If game... : )