Oct 25, 2007

Jason and Keys don't mix

After 4 years of being married to a man with the short memory that rivals Dori from Finding Nemo, this stuff shouldn't phase me...but it does.

Last night I transferred all of my work stuff from the car to the truck (so that I could tranport that new changing table of mine home). I carefully made sure that I had everythign I needed for the next days work so that I could have an organized, relaxed morning. I placed my planner, files, cell phone, games, activities, wallet and jacket in the truck and then asked Jason to lock it all up because he had the keys and there's confidential stuff that needs to be locked up. He did so and when he came in the house I asked him to leave me the key to the truck. And he said sure. Do you see where this is going?....

Jason left at 6:30 am in order to be at school by 7. But me, I didn't have to be anywhere until 9am so I slept in a little because I pulled a 12 hour day the day before and gosh darnit, I'm worth it! Once dressed and ready I planned to eat a leisurely breakfast, do some devotions and then head off. I decided to double check my planner (because I'm always paranoid that I'm forgetting something and the morning seemed to be going just too darn smoothly!) That's when I realized it. No key on the table, no key on the key hanger, nope, no key anywhere! Sure I have tons of friends I could have called and borrowed their cars to get to work, but there's not a lot of work I can do without ANY of my stuff!!!! Oh I was freakin' out and pretty darn mad!My apologies to the receptionists at Bangor Highschool. They probably think that Jason's wife or close relative suffered a large medical emergency because the call went a little something like this:

ME: Yes Hello!? Yes, I REALLY need to get a hold of my husband, it's VERY important and he's not answering his phone! Can you page him to the office or find him or something!?

RECEPTIONIST: Umm, sure. What is his name?

ME: Oh, right, Jason York.

RECEPTIONIST: I'll try to get him up here, who is this?

ME: Oh, right, this is his wife. PLEASE have him call me at home immediately!

Jason called. He said the moment he heard that he needed to call his wife at home he was like, "What could that be abou...OH CRAP! I took the truck key AND I'VE NEVER EVER REMEMBERED TO GO GET A COPY MADE!" (Okay so maybe I added that last part but it's totally true.)

I will hand it to him. He was very apologetic and rushed right home to give me the key. And I have to hand it to myself. I took that 25 minutes that it took him to get home and told myself, "There's nothing you can do about this, so you may as well not stress. Just keep busy and he'll be here soon enough." Then I proceeded to make the bed, wash the dishes and have breakfast. And I didn't even chew Jason out when he got home!!! I told him I knew he didn't do it on purpose and I wasn't mad at him. So I guess I should give myself a little credit ;) I have made progress in the 4 years of marriage!

You'll never guess what just happened (I'm not making this up). My husband, bless his forgetful little heart, just walked in the door and said, "Guess where the car is? It's at Hanniford because I locked my keys in it." And that, my friends, is Jason and keys.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AS soon as I read the title to that post, I knew where it was going! Poor Jason. I remember him locking himself out of my house at 5 in the morning when you guys lived here (several times), and numerous other key incidents. :-) Glad you managed not to yell at him about it! I feel a post coming about cell phones and water. hee hee

Brad and Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness! So great to hear from you! I will put you up as a link on our blog for sure! Looks like things are going good for you guys! Keep in touch Sarah!

Esther said...

Wow, he needs to get some kind of alarm that goes off whenever he leaves his keys somewhere they're not supposed to be (or takes them with him when he's not supposed to). Definitely gotta have extra keys somewhere safe as well. I locked myself out of the house one Sunday morning when Scott was working (and far away at that) and I was wearing my pajamas still! Thankfully, one of the front windows was open a crack, and I was able to push up the screen, open the window, and climb in. Now we keep a spare house key outside...