Oct 14, 2007

Columbus Day Weekend

We decided to take a little getaway because we both had a long weekend and it felt like forever since we'd spent any quality time together. We found a cheap little cabin in Rockwood, right on Moosehead Lake that allowed dogs and we were off to relax and do a little leaf peeping.

Well, it turns out that the cabin was cheap because it ended up being right on Rt. 15, BUT it WAS adorable, right on the water and had a gorgeous view of Mt. Kineo! It was also quite fun to watch the float planes swoop down around Mt. Kineo to give tourists a good view on their sight seeing rides.

The cabin also had cable TV. And anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE cable TV and since we don't have it at home (for the simple reason that I have no self restraint and would certainly sit in front of it all day long in a semi-comatose state) it is always a treat that I enjoy indulging in whenever we go somewhere that has it. And indulge I did. As it turns out there was an all day marathon on A&E of Designed to Sell and Flip This House. It was raining outside so I felt completely justified in sitting my little hiney in front of that TV from 1:00pm until AT LEAST 5:30pm, only getting up to go to the bathroom or get some more Mt. Dew. (Another guiltly pleasure that I feel free to drink unlimited amounts of when I go away on camping trips or vacations.) It was wonderful! (Above: The little couch my hiney sat on for 4 1/2 hours straight)

The next morning we rode into Greenville to have breakfast with our friends Sam and Tara and the cutest little diner around, Auntie M's. Jason and I were going hiking later and carbs don't agree with my stomach so I just had eggs and meat...getting in the protein. But I convinced Tara to get the Pumpkin French Toast because that's what I would have ordered had I not been going hiking. Sorry Tara! (Note to Reader: Reasons you should never get the pumkin french toast at Auntie M's diner: #1 They give you like 2 ittie bittie pieces of bread. #2 It really does not taste like pumpkin. And most importantly #3 They do not serve it sprinkled with powdered sugar.) Other than that it was a lovely breakfast and you'll be happy to hear that Tara's morning was salvaged when Jason told her that there was hazlenut capuccino on the menu and she ordered that with a heaping topping of whip cream.
Also at this meal, we discussed which trail to hike that day. It came down to Big Moose Mt. or Little Moose Mt. We did not want to take our whole day up with hiking so we were leaning toward Little Moose but weren't sure there was going to be a view from the top. But alas, our handy friend Sam, who is a forest ranger up that way, assured us that there was a view from Little Moose Mt. and so off we went.
Note to Reader: There IS NO view from Little Moose Mt. (Above: Pretty little slate steps at the beginning of the trail and Jason and Sarah in happier times, prior to aforementioned discovery.) Perhaps one handy little forest ranger, who shall remain nameless, should re-familliarize himself with Little Moose Mt. We hiked... and hiked... and hiked. We went up and down numerous little mountains and around one big old pond until we reached the peak of Little Moose, but alas, there was no view....only very tall trees. Perhaps it is just over that next peak we reasoned and hiked on....nope. Maybe it's just the next one and we trudged along....uh huh. We finally decided there was no view.
I was exasperated. I stomped my foot, planted myself in the middle of the trail and announced, "I am NOT hiking back on this ridiculously long, no end-reward, poopy view trail!"
"Where are you going to go then?" Jason asked.
"Right down the side of this mountain, to that pond I can see and then along the edge of the pond wich should bring us back to the trail." I declared with a huff. (I think I expected him to treat me like the tantruming little child that I was being and reasonably tell me that we could not do that.)
But instead he said, "I'm game. Let's go!"

And so we did. We bushwacked it right down the side of Little Moose and down to the pond. But when we got to the banks of the pond that we wanted to walk around we sank into quicksand like mud up to our knees and that mud almost stole my hiking shoe! So we back tracked to the woods and followed what seemed to be a nicely beaten down game trail until we saw huge footprints that Jason said was either bear or moose. Visions of accidentally startling a blackbear danced through my head and I made him stop as I thoroughly investigated the print. It was a Moose, a big one so we kept going. Then the game trail became too muddy so we veered away from that which left me being hit in the face with branches every two seconds adn finally, I got freaked out that we would get lost because we couldn't see the pond anymore. I kept having to ask Jason to wait for me. (I think he might have been TRYING to lose me in the woods at that point. But his concience got the best of him and he ended up waiting for me.) He brought us back to the water's edge which was now a little less muddy and, well, you all know we got out safely because I wouldn't be writing this if I had died in the quicksand in the woods being eaten by a bear!

This picture, I very much did NOT take. As you can see, this picture is of the sun rising behind the beautiful misty river. I am not usually awake for sunrises. My guess is that this picture is of Tuesday's sunrise. You see, I went home on Monday afternoon and spent some time that evening hanging out with my friends Tara and Steph while my hubby stayed until Tuesday (because he didn't have to be back to work until Wednesday) to fish with his friend Kevin. I don't really do fishing in the fall unless it's really warm. Otherwise, it's really cold to stand in that water adn my hands go numb after about 15 minutes. But as you can see, my man is tough and he cought fish! A little time together, a little veggin', a little hikin', a little girl time, and a little guy time. It was grand!

This picture is for my mom! (And by the way Noelle, maybe you don't care about Greenville, but this is all your gettin' until you put another post on your blog. Maybe then I'll tell you about the amazingness that was our second dancing class! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a great weekend, all in all. I loved all the pictures. Glad you didn't get eaten by a bear! I cried when I got to the end. Thanks kiddo. :-) You're the best!

Anonymous said...

After all those Notes to Reader - how could I NOT care about Greenville. I care so much now, I can't even tell you how much. It's just THAT much!!!

It actually does sound like you had a blast but what I'm really looking for here in your blog is a dance photo. You... Jason... camera... tomorrow night... please... thank you... :)

Esther said...

so fun! I love it. Also, thanks for your comments about my photos. I try...

we gotta get together sometime! We're supposed to be doing this couples thing on Friday nights once a month.. perhaps we can start that in November...