Apr 13, 2008

Ice Fishing SooOOoo NOT redeemed!

I know I haven't posted in a while. But nothing fun or silly or noteworthy has been going on...that is until last night! Last night I had the extreme pleasure of attending the 2008 IceShanty.com "banquet". Oh, let me tell ya 'bout it!

IceShanty.com is an online forum where people post about ice fishing. At the end of the season they get together to, oh shall we say, celebrate (read-eat lots o food and get hammered). The picture to the right is a general composite of what the majority of the attendees looked like. I shall now detail just a few of the highlights for you.

Just to set the scene for you...It was held in a VFW hall, we paid to get in, but it was a potluck, and the bar tender that looked like my grandmother made drinks that were 95% alcohol and 5% whatever mixer.

The man with the microphone kicked the evening off by saying "F&*#ing A, lets get this thing started! Hell the food's ready so grab some plates and eat some Sh*#!" That man then wandered over toward our table and said this (no exaggeration whatsoever), "Man I did good! I only swore 3 times that time. Last year I swore like a hundred times and I was on the wagon! This year I'm drinkin'!"

The potluck spread consisted mainly of baked beans, meatballs, baked beans, meatballs, mini-weiners, baked bean and meatballs. Oh, and it was topped off with one GIANT thunder thigh of "home-raised" smoked beef that someone was just standing there carving hunks of meat off of. I'm glad I got an outer portion of that big old rump because the middle part was so red and bloody I'm sure it still had a pulse!

Standing in line in the bathroom, where only one flush was working I had an amusing interaction with a very intoxicated older woman wearing a hot pink, skintight tank top. She came out of the stall and stared at me for an awkwardly long amount of time with squinted eyes and a sloppy grin. After realizing she'd probably been staring for a socially inappropriate amount of time she abruptly declared, "I hear the DJ." "Yes," I confirmed, "Yes that is the DJ." The then stumbled a bit toward the paper towels, wiped her hands and, before leaving, stopped and stared at me in the same manner as before for another inordinately long period of time. Then she left. Awesome!

Don't worry folks, it was entertaining and we did have fun at our table with Jason's fishing buddies and all of use wives that came to keep each other company. Let me tell you, I didn't walk away empty handed. They raffled off a bunch of stuff! I got a pillow for my camper (that I don't have) and Jason got a flashlight(to add to our collection of like 10)! Jason also received two small, but glitzy, gold and red fish trophy's. One for the best cusk of the season and one for the best pickerel of the season. Yes sirree! The only problem we're having now is deciding where those beauties will be displayed!

3 comments:

Esther said...

Sounds like a darn good hick Maine time. Yeehaw! At least you walked away with something to show for it.

Amy said...

Seriously Sarah, that is my kind of event. Hopefully I'll get to attend next year. And your description of the menu has left me totally hungry.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a very interesting evening!