Mar 4, 2008

A Decorating We Shall Go!

(First, a reading warning for Amy B : The following post could cause covetousness :)

Well, I have a few days off and Jason has a bunch of days off because it's spring break for him. I don't know what got into me, but I've been in a decorating/crafting tizzy the past two days! I get inspired to go on these kicks every now and then. So I shall now explain and show pictures of what I've been up to.

One of my biggest passions is photography. Has been every since I first got my hands on a good old SLR back in high school. I especially love black and white photography. If I had my own dark room I would develop my own too. There's something so restful about being in the darkroom, like my own little getaway. Anyhoo, I decided it was high time to get some of my best work displayed around my house.

We found these shelves I've been wanting forever at Marden's the other day for 8 bucks each! They not only came with the shelf but with three photo frames as well! So I put them up on either side of the armoire and displayed some of my favorite photos on them.


Then I took three of my favorite 8x10 photos and paired them with a new favorite photo I took recently in Vermont and framed them in some beautiful black matted frames. I then hung them gallery style in what used to be the vast, empty expanse above our couch. LOVE IT!


And last but certainly not least, the piece de resistance... one of the old six paned windows I got in Vermont. I stayed up 'till 11:30 finishing it the way I wanted to. I sanded... painted... waited... painted... waited... painted. The finish turned out just the way I wanted it to! It's hard to tell from the picture but there's a translucent coat of black followed by crackle paint medium followed by cream paint dry brushed on in a fashion then ends up looking like old weathered barn boards. Then, I centered a 4x6 black and white photo in the middle of each pane and hung it above our guest bed where before there was, once again, a vast expanse. The result... MAGNIFICENT if I do say so myself!



So there you have it. My crafty decorations. It is so fulfilling to have my favorite photos surrounding me now and quite rewarding to have incorporated them into spaces in my house that I wanted to decorate anyway!

4 comments:

Brad and Rebecca said...

hey! Thanks for your comment! Your house looks so cute! Nice touch! I take the pictures of our baby... I enjoy it but by no means do i know what i am doing! We have a nice camera which helps! We got a new lens, so as soon as we put that on, they should be even better! I love the "weathered" look to that frame you did!

Amy said...

Do you happen to know the name and brand of the green paint in the armoire picture? I want to paint our kitchen that same color.

Kevin and Amy said...

DELISH!!! I love what you did with the old window pane, and I REALLY love the trunk that you're using as a coffee table in your living room. I am REALLY into old trunks and boxes. Kev thinks it's an addiction!

Cheryl said...

When you said you had brought home some old windows from Vermont, I couldn't imagine what you were going to do with them. Wow! Beautiful! I love your imagination and your artistic talents. Everything looks great!