Mar 6, 2008

Adventures in Snowmobiling

When I think of snowmobiling, the worst comes to mind...smashing into trees, plunging through the ice, getting hit crossing a road, getting decapitated by a wire fence in a field. Admittedly that is because I have no experience with this favorite Maine past time and only have the news reports and my mothers voice in my head to consult about the topic.

Today, we both had the time off, we both wanted to get outside and enjoy the beautiful day, and we happened to have my in-laws snowmobile in our garage. Needless to say we decided to go for a ride. I insisted that both of us have helmets so we went out to our friends house, borrowed an extra helmet from them, and rode the trails behind their house.

The trek started off well until Jason veered left off of the trail. I tapped him harder and harder until he stopped, informing him that he had gone off trail. He tried to head back but dead ended in the midst of some trees. Here's where things got good. Jason became a bit, ahem, upset shall we say. He argued that I was wrong and that he was headed in the right direction when he veered left. I stated that I disagreed but we could check out where he thought the trail was. After a lot of heeving and hoing we got the snowmobile turned around and I hopped back on and we started off on, what Jason thought was the trail. Shortly thereafter we heard another snowmobile in the distance and Jason slowed to see where he was. That is when we saw this other guy trucking along down what I said was the trail (and what Jason said was NOT the trail). I jumped off while Jason turned the sled around, again. At that point the other snowmobile saw me off in the woods and stopped, undoubtedly thinking I was lost or injured. I informed him that we just got off trail. Then he saw Jason bring the sled around, said a few more things and was off. I'm sure he thought we were a couple teenagers "carousing".

The next excitement came up when I screamed at the top of my lungs like a terrified little girl and beat on Jason until he stopped the snowmobile because I was sure he was about to cross the stream that our friend had warned us about and plunge us to our icy deaths. No worries folks, it was just a long skinny field :).

Honestly, after that, we got our groove down. I trusted Jason. We didn't go off trail. We stopped at a store I used to work at, visited and had lunch. The ride home was lovely and I even tried my hand at driving :) Oh, and that picture up top is most definitely not me! I watched and we topped out at a whopping 25 mph!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheryl said...

Uh, yeah. I was at McK's store today, and Ron said you two stopped in while snowmobiling yesterday. I thought he must have been hallucinating, since Jason said you were working long hours and he was going snowmobiling with Kevin and Wendy. At least I thought that's what he told me. I'm glad I didn't know. You'd have definitely gotten a new dose of "Mom's scaredy cat wisdom," including the fatality count of snowmobilers this year! Glad you survived. :-)

Cheryl said...

P.S. Is that why I got a nice surprise yesterday, along with Hunter being at my house? Thank you so much for the tea and infuser from Vermont! It smells heavenly, and I am brewing a cup right now. You are so thoughtful!