Aug 31, 2013

Back to School Celebration!

I decided we needed to kick off this very momentous Pre-K school year right.  We put a VERY high value on education in this home and I think it's important for us as parents to set the tone.  I want Ella to view school in a positive light and to be excited to go, make friends, and learn.  I got my inspiration from nieniedialogues.  (And, no, I'm not mormon, but just because someone believes something different than me, it doesnt mean they can't have some rockin' ideas!) But our back to school celebration was... and ALWAYS will be 1/1000th of what she pulls off.  
Let me start off by saying that I don't do stuff like this because I feel like I "have to", because I'm trying to keep up with the Jones's or because I think I need to live up to some ideal on Pinterest.  I do stuff like this because I LOVE to!  It's my thing.  And if it's not your thing, please don't think for solitary second that I judge you.  Because I don't!  I'll be me.  You be you.  It'll be awesome!

I realized as I was posting these pictures that it looks kind of elaborate.  With the heart of not putting on pretenses and keeping things real, let me assure it, it was not elaborate.
I had the plastic table cloth, wrapping paper, paper plates and napkins left over from previous BBQ's and parties.  

I went back to school shopping and packer the backpack that she's had for years with her pencil box, a lunch box, and a few do-dads I found on clearance that I knew would make her year!

The sunflowers were grown by Ella herself, right from seed and it only seemed fitting to decorate with them.

She requested pizza and chocolate milk for her special dinner.  You can see all of our efforts to get her to eat healthy are paying off :).  The pizza is from a box.


I stayed up a little later than normal the night before making the cake (funfetti box mix in a 9x13 pan), writing out the Bible verse on construction paper and constructing a special Pre-K crown with cardstock and good old crayola!


The balloons, I had J grab on the way home from work.  Sent Jason outside with the kids for a half hour before dinner so I could set up and... Voila!  Instant back to school Par-tay!

 Here she is just before we left for school.  Look at the last year and this year side by side!  She's grown so much!!!  (Why won't her hair do the same!?!?)

 And here she is.  backpack hung, lunch box on the shelf, pencil box in her her cubby and all settled in at her desk for pre-K!  She didn't shed one tear.  As I walked away and stood in the doorway, expecting her eyes to follow me, and give her one last wave good-bye... she wasn't even looking.  She was already talking to her new friend that sits right beside her.  So proud of her!  She's come a long, long way!!!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful way to make going to school a fun and "looked-forward-to" event! And Ella sure is growing up fast. So cute and with such a beautiful smile! Melts my heart. ♥